At the request of Archbishop P. J. Monahan and the residents of Melville, the Sisters of St. Martha from Antigonish, Nova Scotia were asked to take over the administration of the 15-bed Melville Municipal Hospital. The Sisters arrived June 28, 1940 on the Feast Day of St. Peter and changed the name of the hospital to St. Peter’s Hospital on June 30, 1942. The Sisters of St. Martha actively served St. Peter’s Hospital from 1940-1980 in a spirit of faith, compassion, courage, and trust in God.
In September 1980, the Sisters of St. Martha transferred ownership of the hospital to St. Peter’s Board of Trustees with sponsorship given to what is now known as Emmanuel Care. In 2018, Emmanuel Health took over the sponsorship of St. Peter’s Hospital.