The Sisters of Notre Dame d’Auvergne have been in Ponteix since 1913. Their chief activities have been the teaching of primary and secondary grades at the convent and the care of the sick in the General Gabriel Hospital.
Several of the Sisters had elderly parents or relatives who required supervision and care. In 1958, the order of Sisters decided to build a Foyer to meet these needs. In December 1959, Foyer St. Joseph Nursing Home opened its doors, giving priority to their relatives. Having extra rooms, the invitation was extended to anyone in the community and surrounding area.
Ten years later, they were given the authorization by the Minister of Social Services to add to the present building, a fire-proof nursing home wing, which opened in April, 1970. Foyer St. Joseph Nursing Home is hereby licensed under the provisions of the Housing and Special Care Homes Act to operate for the accomodation of thirty Long Term Care residents and two Respite rooms. They are fully authorized for the three levels of care with the required qualified staff. On July 29, 2001, the Foyer St. Joseph Nursing Home was transferred from the Sisters of Notre Dame d’Auvergne to the Saskatchewan Catholic Health Corporation.